Anyone living in a home long enough will eventually have to replace their heating and air conditioning equipment. Unfortunately, not all HVAC contractors are alike. Most contractors will sell new equipment as needed but they neglect to address the total home comfort issues. Every home has its own challenges when it comes to comfort (ie: style of home, duct lay out, usage pattern, etc.). So simply replacing a furnace or A/C never addresses these issues.
What every homeowner should be looking for is a contractor that focuses on the entire house envelope as opposed to a single piece of equipment. Our focus is on maximizing overall comfort.
To achieve this goal, we do the following:
- Manual J Load Calculation to determine the proper size equipment.
- Offer Aeroseal to increase comfort due to duct leakage (92-99% effective).
- Do duct modifications as needed to improve air flow and reduce static pressure.
- Offer zoning to achieve guaranteed temperatures for 2nd floors, additions, etc.
- Offer humidifiers for winter comfort.
- Offer dehumidifiers for summer comfort in basements and crawl spaces.
- Offer air cleaners for year round comfort especially for those with allergies and respiratory issues.
- Offer ultra violet units that destroy mold, mildew and bacteria that might be present in ductwork.
- Offer leak detectors that have an audible alarm and notify your phone if there is a water leak or failed sump pump.
- Offer sump pump systems depending on need but primarily focused on professional grade battery back up systems.
Upgrading your furnace and A/C will definitely reduce the utility bills but adding some or all of the other items that I have listed will give you a comfort level that is not obtainable by just replacing a “box”.