How Safe is Your Family?

Every year, during the heating season, there are numerous stories about people who died as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning. Over the years I have written articles about the dangers of this gas. It is odorless, colorless, and tasteless but highly toxic to humans and pets. Unfortunately, most homes do not have proper protection from this deadly gas.

Now that we are in the heating season everyone should be proactive in protecting their family from this potential killer. Any appliance that uses gas, wood, etc. is a candidate for CO. Usually the problem is an obstruction in the flue pipe or a cracked heat exchanger. That is one of the primary reasons to have your furnace and water heater inspected on an annual basis.

Dangers to Your Health

The health risks from CO poisoning depend on your age, physical condition, exposure time to the gas and how many parts per million are in the air. Most store bought CO detectors warn you when the CO level reaches 65-70ppm (parts per million). ASHRAE standards state that anything over 9ppm over an 8 hour period is unsafe. Most fire department personnel wear breathing apparatus when the CO level exceeds 35ppm. The American Lung Association cautions that breathing low levels of CO can cause headaches, nausea, dizziness, confusion, and disorientation. Breathing low levels of CO can cause permanent mental problems.

To truly protect your safety from CO poisoning you should invest in a professional grade low-level CO monitor. The product we install can detect CO levels a slow as 5ppm. If you would like that level of safety and peace of mind give us a call. We are offering a 10% discount on a CO detector for the month of December to everyone who wants the best protection possible.

If you have any questions or want to rest assured your family is safe, please contact us! If you leave us a review on Google, you receive a discount for a future service too!

heating repairs - heating woodstock - safe