When Do I Need to Replace My Unit?
There are a few signs to look for if you’re wondering if you should replace your unit.
Your equipment needs frequent repairs.
- Your cooling or heating equipment may have become less efficient.
- If you’ve repaired it less than 2 repairs in 10 years, it should be good. Once it’s more than 3 repairs, it should be replaced.
Your furnace or boiler is more than 15 years old.
- Consider replacing with an ENERGY STAR qualified furnace, which is 15% more efficient than a conventional furnace. If you have a boiler, consider replacing with an ENERGY STAR qualified boiler that is 5% more efficient than a new, standard model.
Your A/C unit rating.
- If your A/C unit has a rating of 10 seer or less than it is time to replace it. New units have efficiency ratings of to 20 plus seer.
The cost to repair is more than the cost of a new unit.
- If the cost of repair and/or it’s parts is more than 50% of what it would cost for a new unit, a new unit is calling your name.
- Although it might be pricier, you’re saving money for even more future repairs on your old unit. Plus, if it’s older than 10 or 15 years old, you’ll be saving energy too.
If you think your HVAC unit is about to kick the bucket, then gives a call to help you find the perfect system for your home. There are a few factors that go into getting the perfect fit for your home so professional advice is key. Check out our furnace page, air conditioner page, and water heater page to learn more about the systems and what we carry.