Ask Adam: How Much Do You Value the Safety of Your Family?

For most people, the answer would be “whatever it takes.” Unfortunately, there are way too many that have practically no protection from carbon monoxide poisoning and safety from that should be a priority.

Carbon Monoxide

Now that we are entering the heating season everyone should be cognizant of this potential problem. Any appliance that has a flame is a potential source of carbon monoxide. The most common ones are furnaces and space heaters (non-electric). The danger of carbon monoxide is that you can’t see it, taste it, or smell it. The health risk is based on your age, physical condition and the length of time inhaling it. The other variable is the PPM (parts per million) in the air.

Most store-bought carbon monoxide units don’t warn you until the reading is around 70 PPM. ASHRAE standards state that anything over 9PPM over an 8 hour period is unsafe. Many fire departments wear a breathing apparatus when the carbon monoxide level exceeds 35PPM. The American Lung Association cautions that breathing low levels of carbon monoxide can cause headaches, nausea, dizziness, confusion, and disorientation.

Breathing low levels of carbon monoxide can cause permanent mental problems. To truly protect your safety from carbon monoxide poisoning you should invest in a professional grade low-level carbon monoxide monitor. The product that we install can detect carbon monoxide levels as low as 5PPM.

furnace crystal lake il - air conditioning repairs - safety

If you would like that level of safety and peace of mind, give us a call at 815-404-4636. If we do a safety inspection and cleaning of your furnace, we will give you a 10% discount on a carbon monoxide detector.

Follow us on Facebook to stay in the loop of all things Official Heating & Cooling. While you’re there, leave us a review and receive a 25% off a future service!